Values and Statement of Purpose
Members of SWWV treat each other with courtesy, tolerance and respect. We welcome diversity, and distinguish between passionate argument and toxic, negative exchanges. We are committed to including and supporting all writers who identify as women, regardless of sexual orientation, age, disability, race or national or ethnic origins.
Statement of Purpose
- To draw together practising women writers.
- To encourage women writers to achieve professional status by the regular conduct of:
- workshops, poetry and prose readings, seminars, conferences, book launches
- literary competitions with prizes, awards, distinctions
- postal workshops designed for members who are unable to attend meetings available to other members
- other activities the Committee considers appropriate such as public readings
- To promote the knowledge of literature among women writers and the wider community.
- To strengthen the ties of interest between Australian women writers and writers overseas.
- To co-operate with other associations or organizations, whose purposes are similar to those of our Society, by subscription, membership or joint seminar.
- To enter into agreement with government or council authorities to obtain rights, privileges or concessions to further the purposes of the Society.
- To print and publish newsletters, anthologies, magazines, books or leaflets that the Society considers desirable for its purposes and for the benefit of its members and the wider community.